Did you know
1. The clock tower was erected in 1951-2 as a memorial to the men of the civil parish of Nailsworth who fell in both the First and Second World Wars.
2. Nailsworth Water fountain was erected in 1862.
3. The River Frome runs through the town.
4. St George’s Church can seat 500.
5. W.H. Davies was a Welsh poet whose last home was the small roadside cottage "Glendower" in the hamlet of Watledge. There is a plaque on the cottage which reads, “What is this life if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare.” This comes from his poem, Leisure.
6. Our official town crier is Tony Evans, who has been crying for Nailsworth for 28 years.
7. Egypt Mill is a grade II* listed building and a former mill, the oldest parts of which date from the 14th century.
8. Nailsworth Railway Station opened on the 4th February 1867 and closed on 16th June 1947.
9. Woodchester and Nailsworth had a railway terminus; Nailsworth’s line to Stroud was so slow, it was affectionately known as the Dudbridge Donkey Line.
10. The first evidence of a cloth industry in Nailsworth was 1448
11. Nailsworth’s first Post Office was in Market Street, in 1913.
12. The average price for property in Nailsworth stood at £330,769 in February 2020. This is a rise of 0.31% in the last three months (since November 2019) and rise of 9.07% in the last 12 months ago. In terms of property types, flats in Nailsworth sold for an average of £154,907 and terraced houses for £241,872. This is according to the current Zoopla estimates.
13. During the 8th Century Nailsworth was known as Negelsleag